Sunday, March 20, 2011

March is National Craft Month

As usual, I'm a little late announcing a celebration, but at least I didn't totally forget!

March is......(insert fanfare)..... National Craft Month.

Don't fret that it's almost the end of March and I'm just announcing this - you really don't even need to ever worry about what month it is. Because in my world, every month is craft month.

But let me take a moment to pick this apart. I sometimes dislike the word "craft". Sometimes...just sometimes...mind you, it feels like the word is thought of as a "just" word. Like: "She likes to do crafts." "She's a crafty person." Now, it's not that these are bad statements, but listen to basically the same statements if we chose instead to refer to it as art. "She creates art." "She's an artistic person." I know it's just my opinion, but I think those statements gain respect and sophistication when the word "art" is used over "craft".

I hope that makes sense - and doesn't offend anyone. Yes, maybe it's just me being over-sensitive. Heck, that's happened before - but it's just my thoughts spilling out.

Now - don't get me wrong - if someone wants to say that I am a "crafty person" (which often can happen) - I assure you that I take it as a compliment. After all, I'm totally in support of anything that enhances the creative part of a person! So let's take a little time to celebrate March (and every month!) as National Art ....er, I mean Craft Month!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment