Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Doilies

doily, doyley, doyly [ˈdɔɪlɪ]
     n pl   -lies, -leys
     a decorative mat of lace or lacelike paper, etc., laid
     on or under plates
 
The doily is really making a comeback these days. I'm seeing them all over the place. I often find them in thrift stores - and if they are handmade, I'm glad to find them, but then I also feel bad because I think of all the work that went into making that doily and it's ended up being thrown in a heap on a thrift-store-shelf.
 
I guess I've "collected" doilies for years. I've often purchased doilies at thrift stores or sales - not because I've needed them - but because they are just so sweet and someone, probably many years ago, took the time to make that beautiful piece of lacework.

Last weekend I found three more (in my preferred price range) at the thrift store - a piddly 50 cents each.

They ended up coming home with me with all of their rips, stains, and beauty.

I have a plan.

I can't take credit for the idea - but it'll be great fun none-the-less.

Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment