Friday, July 1, 2011

Answering Questions

I received a note asking a couple questions about my anniversary blanket. I sure could have answered them in my last post had I read my emails first, but - as usual - I like to do things backwards.

Yes, I did use both knits and woven wool for the blanket (the woven fabrics were all from different recycled wool skirts). For many of my projects, I tend to stick primarily with knits - because I love how they create their unique fiber when felted. I also love the no-possibility-of-raveling characteristic.  But it really is quite surprising how much fabric is needed for even a smaller lap blanket, so its nice to add some of the woven wools. I also love using the different textures together in the same piece - it makes for an interesting look and feel. And heck, I don't want any kind of wool to feel unwanted and unloved!  :-)

I absolutely love the look of butting the fabrics up to each other and then using a zig zag stitch to attach them to each other, but I sometimes do fear that the weight of the wools could later pull the stitching out.  So I have come to mostly overlapping my fabrics - about 1/4" or so - and then using a zig zag stitch to sew them together. I've found that I just feel more secure doing it that way.

Thanks for the good questions!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love your blog. I'm in the same place, feeling too busy to keep mine up, but I wanted to tell you that I'm enjoying yours when I get a chance to check it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thaanks so much Lora! I really enjoy the blogging, but I all takes time - which sometimes I don't have time for...or I just get lazy! But I'm always so glad to hear that it is enjoyed by others. I enjoy checking yours as well! We'll keep plugging along, huh? :-). Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete