Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I Was Framed

Remember when I showed you a mirror that I got at a local thrift shop?


Well, this weekend it went into transformation mode.

First, I did a little online looking for information about the mirror (utilizing an original sticker and trademark on the back). I am not one to encourage decreasing or defacing the value of something old - if it's worth a nice chunk. But if it's just so-so - then I say do what you want to make it more likeable for you. And if I have the information available, I usually try to do a little research on the item before making any changes to it.

So this is a Syroco Mirror. I took about  1 1/2 hours searching the internet for possible value of the piece that set me back $7.00. Most everything that I could find that was similar to it was in the $25 to $50 range. Now, don't get me wrong - $50 is a nice price - but I decided to bite the (gold) bullet and spray paint the gold mirror frame away anyway with my handy-dandy heirloom white.

After considerable consideration (well, maybe about 5 minutes) I decided that, for now anyway, I wanted to just hang the frame by itself and leave the mirror out.

I thought this little candle sconce hanging on the door on my back porch might like some company.


A couple small nails later, it was up. I liked it.


What do you think?


IMPORTANT DUMB NOTE:  This morning when I jumped on the internet while preparing this post, I did a quick search for the Syroco name again - you know, just to make sure I spelled it correctly. What do you think was the FIRST google search that came up in the list? Yup - a picture of a mirror - not exactly - but very similar to mine - valued at $299.  What?  Where was that picture when I was searching on Saturday? Either I was extremely blind or it was posted after my very thorough weekend search.

So what's a girl to do? I had no choice but to just giggle and shake my head. Another financial opportunity in ruins.

No comments:

Post a Comment