Monday, July 30, 2012

New Lighting

I found this fantastic idea somewhere online (I can't totally credit anyone - because I can't recall where I saw it! But I believe it was somewhere on Pinterest.). It's a refurbished chandelier - from cast away light to solar-powered garden chandelier! [New note: I found the webpage where I initially saw this idea.]

Here's how I did it...

I grabbed the old chandelier that I found hiding in my shed that I had nabbed at a garage sale years ago. It still had the sale tag on it....$2.99.

I removed all the electrical parts and primed and spray painted the base.

I spray painted the "scones" a contrasting green. 

I bought some small solar lights for $1.99 each (Target). The globe didn't fit properly into the required space - so I had to saw off part of the lower tab . I was then able to glue the bottom of the globe into place using a strong outdoor glue.

After putting all the lights back in place, I now have a solar-powered garden chandelier!

I am still a bit challenged with just the right place to hang it in order for it to get the proper amount of recharging daylight.

But in the meantime, I think it's pretty fun.

Can you see it shining proudly in the background?

No comments:

Post a Comment